28/02/11

Interview with Cinnamon - Lady Of Spice - (by Princelion)


Dancehall News Flying About interviewed Cinnamon, an upcoming artist of St.Kitts. Cinnamon released tunes like “Whine Pon di Ting”, the female version of Mavado's song and “Money Me a Pree” on the Blue Gem Riddim.

Princelion: Who is Cinnamon? How did your singing career begin?

Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a dancehall artist... Sweet yet spicy, out spoken at times but yet very reserved. A female with different traits just like the spice, Cinnamon is simply full of flavor. Well I have been singing from I was a little girl, growing up in the church and being apart of both choirs. I have always been writing poetry from I was in high school but it wasn’t until I was around 16 years when I started to write songs while in my school’s Young Leaders group. In late December 2007 one night while at a club I was approached by a young artist from my island by the name of Jah Fire seeking female vocals for one of his songs . We made the link and after that everyone started to encourage me to record my own single and from there my music career started.

Princelion: Who inspired you? And which are your favourite artists from now and then?

Cinnamon: My greatest inspiration I must say would have to be Lady Saw. She is an artist who came out in a time where females did not really have a voice in the dancehall fraternity which was and still is strongly dominated by males, but she never allowed it to stop her and kept on making music, expressing herself and making her music heard all around the world.

Favourite artists, wow I have so many but some are definitely Vybz Kartel for his lyrics and energy, Lady Saw, Cecile, Movado, Tanya Stephens,Busy Signal, Beenie Man, Pink, Celine Dion and Micheal Jackson.

Princelion: Do you listen only to reggae/dancehall music?

Cinnamon: No, I love all genres. I listen to a lot of Hip Hop, Pop, RnB and Rock.

Princelion: A question that we ask to all the artists: did you go to school? Untill which age? Do you think that education is important?

Cinnamon: Yes I did go to school right up until I was 19 years, that’s when I completed college. School is the foundation for everything, it’s a very important stepping stone in life. Streets smarts isn’t all. Look at it this way, if I did not go to school and learn how to read or write there is no way I would be able to write my own lyrics today or even read lyrics that may be written for me. Some people argue that school is just a waste if time but I beg to differ.

Princelion: For which producer, dead or alive, would you like to sing? And with which singer?

Cinnamon: I would definitely love to work with Seanizzle, Don Corleon and Stephen McGreggor and Pharrell. I Would love to get the opportunity to do a song with Lady Saw or Vybz Kartel or Movado.


Princelion: Have you ever had the possibility to collaborate with a Hip-Hop or Pop artist? Would you like to and with who?

Cinnamon: No, that priviledge has not cross my way as yet, but I would love to work with Ke$sha, I love her style. Its funky and unique, I think it would be so much fun working with her. 

Princelion: The first tune of Cinnamon was “Your Love” on Lava Flow Riddim; then in 2010 “Money Me a Pree” and finally “Whine Pon Di Ting” the counteraction of Mavado, why did you choose “Whine Pon Di Ting” and when are you going to release new tunes?

Cinnamon: Well honestly I always wanted to do a counteraction for a song and the Split Personality Riddim at the time was really hot, still is. One night while chilling in the studios we were just talking about doing a promo song on a popular riddim, I was a little skeptic at first about it but once I talked to Seanizzle about getting permission to do the promo track on one of his riddim, the Movado song was just the perfect candidate. His style fits my style so perfectly and allowed me to come up with a answer back that everyone would love.

Princelion: Your first mixtape was ”Dangerously Spice” with Eclipse Records. In 2011 you'll have your second mixtape called “Cin City Mixtape” for Sonique Records. Who will mix the mixtape? Can you give any anticipation?

Cinnamon: Wow Cin City mixtape. Am very excited about it because its going to be mixed by one of the hottest sounds from Italy, Kalibandulu Sounds. It’s a real honor to have them working along with me on this project. They have been supporting my career and am very appreciative of that. The mixtape is scheduled to drop in late February or early March, the exact date has not been figured out as yet. My fans can be sure its going to be one of the hottest mixtapes for 2011, full of surprises like guest appearances, collaborations and exclusive singles. So be prepared to take a step into my world with the Cin City Mixtape, you’ll be hooked for ever. 

Princelion: Your web contacts?

Cinnamon: To hear my music and receive more updates visit my website, www.cinnamonmuziq.com or add me on Facebook www.facebook.com/ladycinnamonspice. I am also on Twitter www.twitter.com/cinnamon_sk